How is uguisu no fun produced?

Uguisu no fun today is produced using the same ancient techniques of farming the traditional and raw uguisu no fun during the 17th century Edo period. A specific bird, Cettia Diphone or Japanese Nightingale produces Uguisu no fun. Some companies uses caged birds while others uses free range birds which means that they are not caged or placed inside an aviary. Free range birds are free to roam without any limitations. Since Japanese nightingales are non migratory birds, they only roam on a limited territory throughout Japan, Taiwan and some parts of China.

Company such as Uguisu Poo Inc. uses a very huge sterile plastic that they unravel to a very large area. They then place bird foods on these areas that specifically attracts Japanese Nightingales. This technique is very effective as huge flocks of Japanese Nightingale Birds go to these areas to feed. Company such as Beauty Culture Inc. has large aviaries of about 30 to 50 birds with an excrement receptacle under it which leads to more easier farming. Cage farming is an issue repeatedly raised by animal rights activists here in Japan. According to recent studies, Free ranged farming produces about 800 times more than cage farming as hundreds of Nightingale Birds can flock on a very large area for hours.

These droppings are then collected and immediately sent to a processing center. Raw uguisu no fun is produced by drying these droppings under the sun for about 2 weeks and then powderized and packed. Enhanced uguisu no fun takes a longer time to processed because they will still remove the unnecessary components of the bird poo and only take the important components of the droppings using centrifugation and reverse osmosis filtration. Only about 30% of the collected droppings are retained after this process as the remaining 70% are ammonia, bacterial debris, cytoplasmic materials and undigested food eaten by the bird that could range from seeds, nuts, exoskeletal remnants from dead insects, worms and fruit peels to name a few. Scientific studies show that enhanced uguisu no fun contains higher guanine and proteolytic enzyme contents than raw uguisu no fun.

It will then be dried using UV lights for about 2 weeks. A common misconception is that UV light drying is similar to Sun drying, they are very different. Sun drying is the only method used in sterilizing and drying uguisu no fun before UV lights were invented. The health ministry issued a health hazard warning in drying bird poop under the sun as disease carrying vectors such as flies, mosquitoes and other insects can contaminate the droppings during those 2 weeks of being left out in the open. Indoor UV sterilization uses strong UV lights to both sterilize and dry the excrement.

Using either the human hands or a machine, it will be ground to convert it into its powder form and it will then be processed either as soap or facial masks that you love and enjoy.